for US Continental orders over $99
FOLDING STEPS for EASIER & SAFER SAIL STOWING OR CLIMBING THE MAST
How many yachtsmen have struggled to reach the gooseneck, the highest reef point or the top of he sail cover by attempting to balance on a halyard, winch or something even smaller? Well now there's a quick and simple solution for this risky and dangerous activity.
Now available are the new "lightweight, rattle free, aesthetic, strong and foldable" mast steps. These steps are easily unobtrusively fitted to the mast providing safe and secure footholds while climbing or working the mast.
The "Mast Step" is manufactured from a special combination of "Nylon/Glass fiber" which together with its design gives the step enormous strength. With a 3% additive, it makes the mast step UV resistant and prevents material degradation.
The steps weighs only 165grams each (weight is always a consideration for products up a mast), and when folded does not snag ropes or sails due to the 'snag-free' design. At anchor or on a mooring the steps do not rattle in the wind and there is a choice of colors to match the mast - white, black and grey.
The steps are placed on opposite sides of the mast with a recommended spacing of 375mm and two opposite each other 1200mm down from the top of the mast for stable and safe working on sheaves, halyards and masthead instruments. Due to its construction and the materials used, it is easy to adjust the step to fit the radius of the mast. Simply tape a sheet of sand paper at the position where the step is to be fitted, rub the saddle of the step up and down until the step snugly fit's the mast curvature.
When using the steps to climb the mast, one simply unfolds the steps in front as one ascends and folds them behind him as you descend the mast. The steps also provide a secure foothold but it is always strongly recommended to use a harness with a safety line attached.
There are many benefits of using the new reinforced "Nylon/Glass" fiber Mast Step:
- Corrosion free
- No electrolysis as with stainless steel fitted to aluminum
- No rattling
- Available in Grey, Black and White
- UV resistant
Mast Step Fitting Procedure
1. Measure section of mast requiring steps. The optimum distance between the steps is 375mm.There should be two opposite each other approximately
2. 1200mm from the top of the mast.( No steps are required at the spreaders)
3. Working upward, fit the steps on alternate sides of the mast, with 375mm space between steps, until the top position. This has steps on both sides.
4. Tape a sheet of sandpaper over the marked position.
5. Sand the saddle section of the step until it fits the curvature of the mast.
6. Mark the rivet holes on the mast and check them.
7. Drill holes taking care not to damage wiring, ropes halyards etc. inside the mast.
8. Before riveting, insert step into the saddle, insert the rivets into the rivets holes and check that the steps fit snugly against the mast.
9. Use blind 5mm monel or copper nickel rivets to suit the thickness of your mast, smeared with anti corrosion protection paste and rivet into place. (Length to be determined by the thickness of the mast)
10. A In case of a Carbon mast is advised to use SS screws whereby the screws should be secured by means of Lock?tite or a similar product.
11. Check each step to ensure its secure.
*Caution: Do not neglect the standard safety procedures - wear a harness and have a safety line attached. It is recommended that the operation is carried out by two people whenever working up the mast! If in doubt consult with a suitable professional , it is recommended that a suitable professional fit the mast step!